Monday, June 16, 2008

Happy Father's Day!

So, on Father's Day, Dad's are supposed to relax, unwind and have a day off from the kids, right? Oh, wait...that's Mother's Day! ;o)

Well, I was getting slightly frustrated trying to figure out what to do for Chris on this momentous day. With funds dwindling, I didn't think that a new speed boat or a cabin at the lake were in the cards. (chuckle, chuckle).... It seems we always get the same thing for Father's Day.....BBQ stuff, a new shirt or something hand made. Don't get me wrong, hand made is the most special, but I couldn't come up with something I had not already done with the kids. My brain was drained and time was running out. We had swim lessons, baseball games and practices to contend with as well, which were time consuming. Aarrghhh! So, in a moment of being disheartened, I asked the boys what they thought we should get Daddy for Father's Day, his special day. I wasn't expecting to get an answer right away, but I did and it was full of excitement!

Both William and Jonathan decided right then and there at Target that they knew exactly what Daddy would want. So, they lead the way.......right to the toy aisle! What 34 year old man would not be overjoyed with a Stars Wars General Grievous Starfighter Lego set?! It is a must have in the world of daddies. These are things that they discuss at soccer games, poker night, happy hour after work....."I have to get my hands on the latest Lego set!". So, I chuckled and said why not. They then lead me to the candy aisle to pick up packages of Twix and Kit Kats because "they are Daddy's favorite!" Gift problem solved!

As we are driving home, they both started planning out Chris's day. Jonathan exclaimed that Daddy should definitely have breakfast in bed with "eggs, bacon and toast & marmalade" because they are Daddy's favorite. William then said, "but only after a lie in because Daddy loves to sleep!". Hmmmm......that was funny! He then went on to say that "me, Jonathan and Daddy will go on a walk with the dogs after breakfast". Where's Mommy in all of this?? Planning is still going on as we arrive at swim lessons in the afternoon.......Jonathan says, "we should take him to his favorite place for lunch, McDonald's!!". William says, "No way, he likes Subway!!". I am loving this :o) ....... After swimming, we are heading back home and there is still more planning.... "We can go swimming and play xbox!!"... I am beginning to see a trend here...everything that they are planning are things that they like to do that Daddy does with them.

"We can have hamburgers and hot dogs!"
"Who's going to cook them?", I ask.
"You are Mommy!! You are so silly!", they yell in excitement.
Well, at least I have some part in the day?
"By the way, who is cooking breakfast?", I ask.
"You are the silliest, Mommy!! You are!", in unison.

Of course, there is a baseball game at 4:45pm and it was the hottest day we have had here in a long while. From what I have seen on the news it was 103 degrees. It hit you like a ton of bricks as soon as you walked out of the door! Yuck!! In any case, Chris did not get up till brunch time, enjoyed breakfast in bed and, as was expected, was totally excited about his Lego & candy! There was a bicycle ride with the dogs, watching some footie, lunch at Subway, a baseball game, swimming and a BBQ. I had a very relaxing day, thank you very much! (No, really, I did! I only had to cook breakfast & dinner.)

As the kids went to bed late that night, Chris told them what a wonderful day he had. He truly did have a wonderful day..... :o)

No comments: