Sunday, August 30, 2009

Vive La France....well, sort of

It's been a whirlwind of a summer! It's hard to believe that our big family trip to France has come and gone.

We had a fantastic time visiting all of our family in Bergerac, France. No one could have asked for a more beautiful location and perfect (but hot!) weather. What a time we had!! There was a horse stable right next door that did lessons every day. After the lessons, the horses would trot by our holiday home with a German Shepherd leading the way to the nearby lake. What a neat treat to be able to see the horses take "a swim" after their lessons! We were surrounded by lovely gardens and the gorgeous scenery of the French countryside that included vines upon vines of fabulous Merlot & Cabernet Sauvignon grapes. WOW! I was indeed in heaven. :)

Our trip started out with a stay in a beautiful Chateau in Preignac, France which was just a short drive from St. Emilion, where my most favorite blend of Bordeaux is produced. While we were there, we were able to take a trip to the historic town and I was able to partake in the beauty and simplicity that is the French lifestyle....relax, drink wine, eat bread, cheese and chocolate. Needless to say, I gained a few pounds while away. Nevermind, it was worth every last taste!! St. Emilion was fascinating and breathtaking. The city is rich in history! William really took interest in the history the town offered and I was very proud. We saw some amazing things there, climbed up medieval towers, walked along cobblestone streets, took a tour of a monolithic church and checked out the Maison du Vin. Well, the last stop was more for me than anyone else. Oh well, c'est la vie. ;)

While in Preignac, we also ate at a wonderful restaurant that was in the woods right by the river. I say wonderful because not only was the food delicious, but the staff there were very kind considering our language barriers! Nothing like trying to speak French and butchering it. The handy French phrase book was okay, but it didn't help as much as I had hoped. It also didn't help that every time I spoke, I answered in Spanish. I thought in Spanish. It was humorous, but at the same time a little embarrassing. That's only because every where we went people would always say, "No espanol, only English!". Well, at least we tried! Needless to say, the people at Au Fil du Leu were gracious and accommodating.

The week with the Rooke clan had us swimming, playing table tennis, foosball, darts, volleyball, cards, bicycling, canoeing and cooking! It was wonderful to see everyone and catch up. It's amazing how much our nieces and nephews have changed over the years. A bit melancholy, seeing that we miss so much, but at the same time wonderful to see how they've grown. William and Jonathan had a fantastic time seeing their cousins and are asking when we will see them all again. Hopefully, sooner than later. When asked, William and Jonathan say the best part of their holiday was seeing their cousins and canoeing. For me, it was the opportunity of a lifetime! Everywhere I looked there were vines! Vineyards everywhere with a story to tell. Chateaus, castles, and maison du vins in every town. Anything I wanted to know was at my disposal. If only there was more time, I could have fit in a tour of the vineyard, but alas there was not. No worries though, I read, took the opportunity to stroll along vineyards whenever I could and sampled what I could. It was dreamy! Wine will always be there, the time with family is short and worth more.

The tail end of the holiday brought us to Saint Sulpice de Royan which is a sleepy little village just outside of Royan, a major port & beach town. We spent our days in La Palymere at the Les Grande Cotes and enjoyed the most beautiful beach I've ever been at. The water was crystal clear and the perfect temperature. The beach was lined with trees! Gorgeous sand! Truly perfect! The boys absolutely loved playing there. The pictures only prove their excitement. It was a lovely time spent with Nan & Grandad. A perfect ending to a fantastic vacation! Although, by the end of the holiday, we were really missing the English language, our home, dogs and especially our friends. Although it was nice to get away, it's always nicer to come home.

So, the best things about this holiday....

For the kids: cousins, canoeing, the beach and having chocolate for breakfast every morning. Yes, they had chocolate every day for breakfast! They had bread with chocolate spread, croissants filled with chocolate, chocolate crepes and hot chocolate. WOW!

For us: time with family, the wine, the food, the relaxation & flying in business class!

No comments: